BSG Bytes are a series of short videos discussing topical industry health and safety news topics.
- Fire on a Construction Site: During the video, Sherri Masson, Safety Adviser for the South region at BSG, discusses: Why are construction sites high risk areas for a fire? What are the common risks of fire in construction? How do we prevent risks from fire in construction?
- Timber Frame on a Construction Site: During the video, Shane Ponting, Safety Adviser for the central region at BSG, discusses: Why is timber frame construction a higher risk? How do I manage these risks? What information is available?
- Mental Health on Construction Sites: During the video, Chris Chapman, Head of CDM Services and Technical Support Manager at BSG discusses: What is the problem with mental health in the construction industry? What can employers do? What can employees do? Where can I go for help?
- Noise on Construction Sites: During the video, Mark Stevens, BSG’s Principal Safety Adviser for the South region discusses: What creates noise on a construction site? What harm can noise cause? What can I do to eliminate or reduce the risk of noise exposure on site? Where can I find more information?
- CITB Site Safety Plus Changes: During the video, Chris Cooksley, Trainer at BSG, discusses the changes to CITB’s Site Safety Plus courses which occurred in 2018. This includes information about the higher pass rates, new styled questions and safety critical questions, which must be answered correctly by delegates to pass the exam. Chris looks at the following courses: Health and Safety Awareness, Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme and Site Management Safety Training Scheme.
- Environmental Management on Construction Sites: During the video, Rob Dyer, BSG’s Principal Safety Adviser for the Bristol East region discusses: What are the environmental issues that could affect this site in terms of activities? What is the likely harm caused by these activities on the environment? How can you manage these activities better to minimise the impact? What are the benefits of implementing sustainable construction methods?
- Traffic Management on Construction Sites: During the video, Chris May, BSG’s Regional Manager for the South West region discusses: Why is traffic management important? What legislation applies? What is a traffic management plan? What can happen if I don’t comply?
- Silica Dust on Construction Sites: During the video, Mark Stevens, BSG Safety Adviser for the South Coast, discusses: What is silica dust? What hazards does silica dust present? What precautions do I need to take when on site?
- Directors’ Responsibilities for Health & Safety: During the video, Chris Chapman, Head of CDM Services & Technical Support Manager for the Building Safety Group discusses: What are the main duties of a director? What are the best ways to install a good safety culture within an organisation? What help is there available to directors?
- Edge Protection on Construction Sites: During the video, Dave Dursley, Regional Manager for the Bristol & South Wales Region at BSG, will be discussing: What are the working at height regulations? What is the European Standard for edge protection? What should I use? Can I use Heras fencing or similar as edge protection?
- Asbestos on Construction Sites: During the video, Andy Harper, Regional Manager for the London & Central Region at BSG, will be discussing: Why is asbestos a hazard? Where is the asbestos and how do I identify this material? What do I do if I unexpectedly come across potential asbestos during my work?
- Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015): During the video, Chris Chapman, Head of CDM Services and Technical Support Manager at BSG, will be discussing: What are the guiding principles of CDM? What are the main sticking points of their implementation? What can be done to improve the compliance of the regulations?